Open Mic Night! (D10LE, OPEN)

Local watering hole.

Re: Open Mic Night! (D10LE, OPEN)

Postby Cal Arcton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:10 am

Jelna Vawn wrote:"Ah, so ya ain't the sort to get ordered around, huh? Ya must have somethin' else than pouring drinks for Cal to put up with that."

Jelna shook her head. "Naw, no punchin' there. The 'Force' only offers such good punches once in awhile."

"Yeah." Kaylee shrugged. "I pretty much do my own thing. I guess I respect that Cal doesn't have a problem with that. Of course, if he did, we'd have a different sort of problem."

She snickered, leaning forward across the counter. "The Force..." She snickered again. "Is it just me, or does that sound like the sorta thing some d-bag dude would name his junk?"
Human | Bar Owner | Twelve Parsecs Crew | Un-retired Lawman | I have two guns
Cal Arcton

Postby Jelna Vawn » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 am

"Maybe he should have kept a tighter leash on his people," Jelna said before planting her empty glass on the counter. She pushed it forward and looked Kaylee with discriminating eyes. After a few, uncomfortable moments, she lightened up and smirked. "Ya don't seem like the useless sort, though. Exact opposite, I'd say."

The blonde perked a brow and glanced back at Kal. "Ya know, that sounds exactly like what he'd say." She swallowed a laugh and instead grinned widely at Kaylee. "And I do mean both contexts."
Human | Force Sensitive | Captain of the Ivory Phoenix | "Babe"
"I reckon I can track down any varmint you want. So let's stop the chitchat and talk credits."
Profile| Theme
Jelna Vawn

Postby Temra Zol » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:23 am

Kai Wryssald wrote:"I could drink to that." Kai agreed with a grin. "You're right after all, she has had a pretty rough time of it. She deserves some peace and quiet.

That left the question of whether she wanted peace and quiet though. Bringing his drinks to his lips he took a sip of his before before shaking his head slightly. "What about you though? Got any bug plans for the future?"

Temra knocks back half his glass in a big swig, mulling over the familiar tang of the beer and the question at once. "Big plans? Hardly. I imagine that my future involves a lot more clinic hours after the grenade explosion there yesterday, and whatever free time Dr Suhr decides I am deserving of will probably be devoted to researching this little Rak'sla mountain range. I'm not sure if Ms Cefey or Ms Jelna spoke of it, but there was something of a conflict there yesterday."
Iktotchi * Neda Ulaby Medical Centre Technician * Force Sensitive *
Temra Zol

Postby Cefey Raneth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Cal Arcton wrote:"Sure thing." Cal smirked. "What'll you have? It's on the house tonight." He made a face. "One of these days, I'm gonna charge one of you for a drink. I mean it." He said, his tone mock-serious.

He shifted, getting ready to pull out glass or mug, as appropriate. As he did, he shot Fey a quick rueful smile, shaking his head. "You really picked a hell of a week to give Noventa a visit. Hope you won't let the Imperial invasion put you off the place. It's not usually like this, I swear."

"We both know that won't happen," the twi'lek smirked. "Some of the bourbon for tonight."

Propping both elbows up on the counter, she gave him a curious look. "Hmmm... so what is it usually like? More nerfs?"
Rutian Twi'lek | Honey | Former Slave | Performer | Clever Girl | Force Sensitive | Ivory Phoenix crew
Profile | Theme

"Theft, it is an especially sweet vice. More elegant than vandalism and more complex than simple robbery."
Cefey Raneth

Postby Cal Arcton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Cefey Raneth wrote:"We both know that won't happen," the twi'lek smirked. "Some of the bourbon for tonight."

Propping both elbows up on the counter, she gave him a curious look. "Hmmm... so what is it usually like? More nerfs?"

Cal snorted. "Yeah, you're probably right about that. Still, if you're gonna be gettin' free drinks, bourbon's a good choice." He fetched out a glass and a bottle. He served with even more flourish than usual, tossing and spinning the bottle before pouring.

He slid the glass across the counter to Fey. "Pretty sure the nerf are still out there. Just a bit less of everything else. Kai ever take y'all on a country drive? Maybe he should, now that the excitement's all done."

He shrugged, leaning back. "But to tell the truth... I guess I'm not really sure what's normal anymore. It's changing so fast." He smirked. "Maybe the Imperials were kinda like acne. Just a nasty part of growing up."
Cal Arcton

Postby Cal Arcton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Jelna Vawn wrote:"Maybe he should have kept a tighter leash on his people," Jelna said before planting her empty glass on the counter. She pushed it forward and looked Kaylee with discriminating eyes. After a few, uncomfortable moments, she lightened up and smirked. "Ya don't seem like the useless sort, though. Exact opposite, I'd say."

The blonde perked a brow and glanced back at Kal. "Ya know, that sounds exactly like what he'd say." She swallowed a laugh and instead grinned widely at Kaylee. "And I do mean both contexts."

Kaylee returned the look a little uncertainly. "Uh, thanks." She shrugged. "Yeah, I'm only doing the bartending thing for a little while. Saving up a bit of money. It's easy work, and I don't have to put up with anyone's crap.

Following Jelna's gaze, Kaylee laughed too, drawing a surprised glance from Cal. "I'll bet. He a friend of yours?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Kai Wryssald » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Temra Zol wrote:Temra knocks back half his glass in a big swig, mulling over the familiar tang of the beer and the question at once. "Big plans? Hardly. I imagine that my future involves a lot more clinic hours after the grenade explosion there yesterday, and whatever free time Dr Suhr decides I am deserving of will probably be devoted to researching this little Rak'sla mountain range. I'm not sure if Ms Cefey or Ms Jelna spoke of it, but there was something of a conflict there yesterday."

Seeing Jelna and one of the bartenders looking in his direction Kai raised his hand to give a polite wave. If he had heard their conversation though he would of assured them that his member was not named the force. Though it did have a name.

"The mentioned it, something to do with the force? Apparently some dark evil guy and his two sidekicks were trying to do some nasty things to this planet while others were involved with the Imperial occupation?" They had only mentioned a few things after all. "Still nice to know someone with a good head on their shoulders will be keeping an eye on it."
Human * Ivory Phoenix * Former Solider * "Darling" * The Muscle *
Kai Wryssald

Postby Dartris Ribmatt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:14 pm

It wasn't much of his scene. This sort of stuff usually gave him a headache, but given everything that occured over the past few days, a night out on the town wasn't the worst thing. His boss was already scrambling from the loss of his precious list, his wife had begun to flip out and be suspicious. No doubt she would soon be sending over Red to check on his things, search his belongings, talk to his staff, but he was smart enough to consider all of those options. 10 years of planning, saving, and planning had finally paid off.

And it was time to sit back and enjoy a drink.
NPC (Played by Flession) | Underboss of Noventa City | Bio
Dartris Ribmatt

Postby Cefey Raneth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Cal Arcton wrote:Cal snorted. "Yeah, you're probably right about that. Still, if you're gonna be gettin' free drinks, bourbon's a good choice." He fetched out a glass and a bottle. He served with even more flourish than usual, tossing and spinning the bottle before pouring.

He slid the glass across the counter to Fey. "Pretty sure the nerf are still out there. Just a bit less of everything else. Kai ever take y'all on a country drive? Maybe he should, now that the excitement's all done."

He shrugged, leaning back. "But to tell the truth... I guess I'm not really sure what's normal anymore. It's changing so fast." He smirked. "Maybe the Imperials were kinda like acne. Just a nasty part of growing up."

"Nah, never got around to going for that drive, with all the trouble crawling around," she chuckled and picked up the glass. It was a bit fun to see Cal put on a bit more flourish than usual though. "As for what's normal now... maybe you're just growing old and Noventa just isn't what it used to be for you?" the twi'lek said in her usual teasing tone.
Rutian Twi'lek | Honey | Former Slave | Performer | Clever Girl | Force Sensitive | Ivory Phoenix crew
Profile | Theme

"Theft, it is an especially sweet vice. More elegant than vandalism and more complex than simple robbery."
Cefey Raneth

Postby Jelna Vawn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Cal Arcton wrote:
Jelna Vawn wrote:"Maybe he should have kept a tighter leash on his people," Jelna said before planting her empty glass on the counter. She pushed it forward and looked Kaylee with discriminating eyes. After a few, uncomfortable moments, she lightened up and smirked. "Ya don't seem like the useless sort, though. Exact opposite, I'd say."

Kaylee returned the look a little uncertainly. "Uh, thanks." She shrugged. "Yeah, I'm only doing the bartending thing for a little while. Saving up a bit of money. It's easy work, and I don't have to put up with anyone's crap.

Following Jelna's gaze, Kaylee laughed too, drawing a surprised glance from Cal. "I'll bet. He a friend of yours?"

Jelna glanced away, scolding herself for being so critical. It was a bit too honest of her to be open about her judgments. "What are ya savin' up for then?"

Kai was given a wave back. "He's actually a crew member of mine. I give him crap, but I know he's good."
Human | Force Sensitive | Captain of the Ivory Phoenix | "Babe"
"I reckon I can track down any varmint you want. So let's stop the chitchat and talk credits."
Profile| Theme
Jelna Vawn

Postby Cal Arcton » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Cefey Raneth wrote:"Nah, never got around to going for that drive, with all the trouble crawling around," she chuckled and picked up the glass. It was a bit fun to see Cal put on a bit more flourish than usual though. "As for what's normal now... maybe you're just growing old and Noventa just isn't what it used to be for you?" the twi'lek said in her usual teasing tone.

Cal snorted. "Yeah, that's probably it." He smirked. "Funny, though. I don't feel old."

Looking out at the gathered crowd, Cal gave a nod. "Welp. Looks like it's about time to get started. Wish me luck." He dipped down below the bar, coming back up with an old, battered guitar, enough of each that it was hard to tell if it had ever been well-made. With his usual easy stride, he made his way to the stage, putting the guitar strap around his neck as he did so.

He paused a moment, looking around, the spotlight shining down on him. "How're y'all doin' tonight?" He spoke into the microphone. It was a good one, amplifying without distorting. There were assorted cheers. Kaylee cheered, but did roll her eyes, too. Things were pretty much back to normal.

Cal grinned. "Well, okay then. This one's for all of you. And it's for everyone who didn't make it. It's even for the folks down in Providence Town, or Charnel Gulch. Let's hear it for Noventa!"

He began to play. After a brief stumble at the start, his fingers moved familiarly over the strings of the old guitar.

The song

His voice was clearly untrained, but not bad, and clearly heartfelt.

As it came to an end, Cal smiled and waved. "Thank you, everyone. And Happy Second Noventa Day."

He walked back to the bar. The stage was ready for the next performer.
Cal Arcton

Postby Cefey Raneth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22 pm

"It's called break a leg for going on stage!" she chided playfully and gave Cal a pat on the back as he passed by her. It was obvious at least that she was now in a good mood, as she joined in the cheering of the others.

The music was quaint. And it wasn't quite that good. But she appriciated the sentiment of the lyrics in the conditions that had recently befallen this planet. And because of that, it was a good song, and it deserved a good round of applause.

Well... it was time to go on stage soon then. She'd let Cal have his spot in the limelight as she took a big gulp of her bourbon.
Profile | Theme

Cefey Raneth

Postby Temra Zol » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Kai Wryssald wrote:Seeing Jelna and one of the bartenders looking in his direction Kai raised his hand to give a polite wave. If he had heard their conversation though he would of assured them that his member was not named the force. Though it did have a name.

"The mentioned it, something to do with the force? Apparently some dark evil guy and his two sidekicks were trying to do some nasty things to this planet while others were involved with the Imperial occupation?" They had only mentioned a few things after all. "Still nice to know someone with a good head on their shoulders will be keeping an eye on it."

"I thank you most profusely for the compliment Mister Kai. There is a great deal of mystery still to be revealed on this ball of dirt and gas."

He glanced up at the stage as Fey seemed to be taking one last shot of liquid courage.

"I hope my new home world treated you and your crew well enough, despite all the crazy."

Pulling out his data pad, Temra tries to access Demona's program to beseech a little backup dancing for the mastee thief.
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Temra Zol wrote:
"I thank you most profusely for the compliment Mister Kai. There is a great deal of mystery still to be revealed on this ball of dirt and gas."

He glanced up at the stage as Fey seemed to be taking one last shot of liquid courage.

"I hope my new home world treated you and your crew well enough, despite all the crazy."

Pulling out his data pad, Temra tries to access Demona's program to beseech a little backup dancing for the mastee thief.

After a few moments, blood-red letters flashed across the screen.

SHE'LL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL

One of the lights above the stage flickered ominously.
Cal Arcton

Postby Kai Wryssald » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Temra Zol wrote:"I thank you most profusely for the compliment Mister Kai. There is a great deal of mystery still to be revealed on this ball of dirt and gas."

"Its been interesting." Kai confessed, not sure of a better way to put it, the most charming thing about it being some of those he met here. Most of them didnt seem to be local though. "Glad you like it enough to call it home, though."

Tipping his glass to his lips, he frowned for a moment as the lights flickered. "I didnt know Cal had trouble with the power here." Maybe the man shouldn't give away so many drinks.
Human * Ivory Phoenix * Former Solider * "Darling" * The Muscle *
Kai Wryssald

Postby Cefey Raneth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:12 pm

The blue twi'lek was blissfully unaware of the plottings of the horned man and the red demon that haunted the establishment as she got up from her seat, picking up her glass to bring with her up on stage. The others had taught her to never leave drinks unattended, and while she doubted Cal or his workers would do anything, it was a safe habit to keep.

Stepping up onto the stage, she looked at those gathered as her steps continued to the rather plain and old piano that had been brought with the stage, and had probably been mostly ignored by most. She was glad that Cal had seen it brought out for the occassion, since she had mentioned it to him that it was the instrument she liked to play. "Well, it's going to be hard to follow up the starting act," she smiled, nodding in Cal's direction. "I don't know what I'd play for this kind of occassion - I'm not from around here, but... well, monsieur Arcton here and his people have made me and my crew feel welcome. So thank you."

Placing her glass on top of the piano, she smoothed out her dress as she took a seat. Should I say anything more...? Small talk before performing wasn't something she really knew much about. She never had to do that before.

Might as well just start.

As her fingers touched the keys, it began a slow tune. It paused after a moment, her body visibly showing her inhalation of breath, and the music began again as she began to sing.

"There ain't no reason you and me should be alone
Tonight - yeah baby
But I got a reason that you should take me home tonight

I need a man that makes it right when it's so wrong
Tonight - yeah baby, tonight - yeah baby
Right on the limit's where we know we both belong tonight

It's time to feel the rush to push the dangerous
I'm gonna run right to - to the edge with you
Where we can both fall far in love

I'm on the edge of glory and I'm hangin' on a moment of truth
Out on the edge of glory and I'm hangin' on a moment with you
I'm on the edge, the edge, the edge,
The edge, the edge, the edge, the edge
I'm on the edge of glory
And I'm hangin' on a moment with you
I'm on the edge with you

Another shot before we kiss the other side
Tonight - yeah baby
I'm on the edge of something final we call life tonight alright, alright
Put on your shades I know you're dancing in the flames
Tonight - yeah baby, tonight - yeah baby
It isn't hell if everybody knows my name tonight

It's hard to feel the rush to push the dangerous
I'm gonna run right to, to the edge with you
Where we can both fall far in love

I'm on the edge of glory and I'm hangin' on a moment of truth
Out on the edge of glory and I'm hangin' on a moment with you
I'm on the edge, the edge, the edge,
The edge, the edge, the edge, the edge
I'm on the edge of glory
And I'm hangin' on a moment
I'm on the edge with you
With you
with you
With you
With you
With you
With you"

She was confident in her voice, and it was easy to tell that she had vocal training and control with her performance. Demona on the other hand...

---

((Leaving the Demona shenanigans in the hands of those who started it))
Profile | Theme

Cefey Raneth

Postby CLL-MT9 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 am

Clementine had spent so long getting ready, that he was running late. Newly flush with cash, but aware that a sudden spending spree would be suspicious, he had restrained himself from anything as flashy as plating himself entirely in gold. Instead, he had spent a relaxing few hours enjoying various subtler luxuries: his servos tuned, his chassis polished and buffed, the paint filling the etchings of his circuit diagram "tattoos" touched up, the contact surface of his loading claws and fine manipulators sanded smooth.

The Clementine that stepped in to the Twelve Parsecs was still recognizably himself (as if there were many other loadlifters going around the bars): he hadn't asked for, and wouldn't want, every dent beat out and every carbon-scored trace of blaster fire scrubbed off. But he had shed his usual workaday layer of use-grime, and the metal of his frame and the black transparisteel of his photoreceptor caught the light more intensely and more often.

He comes in just as Cefey was starting, and stands silently watching by the door rather than make a commotion moving through the crowd while she sings. He reacts almost not at all during the performance, transfixed either by the blue Twi'lek, or lost in thought about where a red one might be...
Profile | Loadlifter Droid | Big | Strong | Battered | Slow of Speech | Looms
Works for Kaneesa Gee, Bouncer for the Wookiee's Codpiece
CLL-MT9

Postby Cal Arcton » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Cefey Raneth wrote:((Leaving the Demona shenanigans in the hands of those who started it))

In fact, Demona was rather restrained. At least, as far as such things went. She did flicker rather suddenly into being, but her swaying dance was a bit less disturbingly stuttered than usual. She grinned, or so it seemed, translucent lips pulling back over slightly less translucent teeth, waving first out at the crowd, then at Cefey, before she returned to the swaying dance that was her norm.

Cal applauded the performance, grinning and clapping.
Cal Arcton

Postby Cal Arcton » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Jelna Vawn wrote:Jelna glanced away, scolding herself for being so critical. It was a bit too honest of her to be open about her judgments. "What are ya savin' up for then?"

Kai was given a wave back. "He's actually a crew member of mine. I give him crap, but I know he's good."

Kaylee shrugged. "Get out of here, that's for sure. I mean, Noventa's not really so bad, but it hasn't really got a lot unless you're into mining or nerfs. And I'm not. If there was a better school, maybe..."

She bobbed her head, a thoughtful expression on her face. "I don't know. Was thinking maybe I'd see about becoming an engineer. Or maybe a therapist." She smirked. "I don't mind listening to people's problems if I'm gettin' paid for it."
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Temra was about to respond to Kai when the performance started. He grinned at the red hued backup dancer and was pleasantly surprised at Cefey's vocal talents, he soon found his foot tapping along with the song and looked around to see much of the crowd getting swept up in it as well.
Temra Zol

PreviousNext

Return to Twelve Parsecs from Nowhere