[D8EE] Building Relationships

Local watering hole.

[D8EE] Building Relationships

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:47 pm

(eggspecting)

As the day grew later, and the shadows grew longer, a few more people found their way to the bar. After all, drinking away problems was a popular pastime, and there were certainly a lot of problems.

This didn't stop Cal from trying to keep spirits high. A free drink here, a smile there, a flick of the lighter... even Kaylee managed to give an occasional smile, when someone really needed it.

There was a brief lull. Sighing, Cal moved from around the bar, mug in hand, to take a quick break.
Human | Bar Owner | Twelve Parsecs Crew | Un-retired Lawman | I have two guns
Cal Arcton

Re: [D8EE] Building Relationships

Postby Temra Zol » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 pm

And amongst the other residents of Noventa, Temra found his way to the Twelve this evening, in search of strong drink to wash the taste of failure from his mouth.

He waved to the staff he recognised before claiming a table with a view of the door and smirking in amusement at Dremona's flickering image.
Iktotchi * Neda Ulaby Medical Centre Technician * Force Sensitive *
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Indeed, even Demona seemed to be on her best behavior. Which meant that the things that she was saying were a little bit less creepy than they usually were.

Spotting the familiar face, Cal gave the familiar Iktotchi a wave. "Hey, Temra." He said, his easy stride taking him over to the table he'd chosen. "It's good to see you again." His brown eyes briefly flickered towards the door, then back to Temra. It was pretty clear why he'd chosen the spot he had. "What can I get you tonight?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:32 pm

"Mug of beer to start please Mr Arcton." Temra replied, his eyes never wavering from their view of the entryway.

"I'd be most grateful for a plate of whatever the kitchen is putting out this evening as well. Fresher the better?"
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 pm

"Sure thing." Cal said. "Nerf steak's good and fresh. We'll serve you up one of those." He moved back to the bar for a few moments, speaking with Kaylee. She handed him a full mug, rolling her eyes as she did so, before moving back to the kitchen.

Cal came back, setting down the mug of foamy red beer down in front of Temra. "Get you started there." He said. After a moment, he leaned a little closer, his voice dropping low. "Don't worry. We're keeping an eye out. And if there's any trouble, I'll have your back myself." A slight gesture of his hand indicated the gunbelt around his waist. Cal carried two guns, and the one on his right hip clearly had been customized for his use.
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 am

Temra didn't notice the exchange between Cal and Kaylee but he was grateful for the beer. "Many thanks, for the drink and for the...intangible benefits of your establishment. Although my back is the least of my concern, it's one of the reasons I came here tonight actually."

He took a deep satisfying pull of the foamy liquid, before noticing Cal's mismatched pistols that the entrepreneur revealed to his gaze. "Now one of those isn't exactly standard issue." He noted appraisingly.
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 am

"Sure thing." Cal said with a nod. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Oh, yeah. You do mechanical work, don't ya?" Cal pulled the blaster, holding it reversed, with the safety engaged, and fingers well away from the trigger. Still, even the casual motion was very fast, and clearly practiced.

Smiling, he held it out to Temra, grip first. "Give it a look. H-7 Equalizer, same model as CorSec uses. It's a fine gun, but I've been trying some different things out with it. Custom grip, electronic sights, blaster accuating module." He shrugged. "Never managed to get this sort of work done before I retired. Don't know why; parts are a lot easier to pick up off-world."

The custom grip looked like it had been tinkered with a bit, but the other two main new components looked freshly installed.
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:43 am

"I would offer a speculative assessment for why the work wasn't done earlier. Perhaps after your retirement you hoped you wouldn't need to?" Temra asked as he handled the weapon carefully.

"Although I think for all of us, our view of the world might need revert to an older viewpoint before we can find the peace we seek, for now."

Sliding his drink to the side, Temra lays the weapon on the tabletop between then, not such an odd sight in an establishment such as this. "One assumes that you seek to continue improving upon your sidearm?"
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:15 am

Cal snorted. "Something like that. But, well, I always figured on my retirement having a bit of excitement." The smile faded a bit as he thought of just what sort of excitement they'd ended up with.

"Oh yeah." Cal sighed. "Wish I'd gotten it done earlier." He leaned closer still. "We hit the Imps down in Charnel Gulch this morning. Gotta be ready for 'em tomorrow, too." He spoke in a low undertone; sure, he was pretty sure everyone in the bar was sympathetic, but no sense taking chances.
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Temra raised an eyebrow at Cal's revelation and engulfed the man's blaster in his large hand.

"Then the least I can do to support the cause is to ensure that your gear is top quality." He softly whispered. "Do you have a quiet place I could take my meal and be undisturbed for an hour or two?"
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Cal's mouth briefly opened, then shut. "Yeah, okay. That can happen. Probably should anyway, just in case. Somethin' else you maybe should see."

Gesturing for Temra to follow, Cal walked to the door at the back of the room, his stride casual, but his long legs making it a quick trip. From previous visits, Temra would know that it led to the restroom, but also to a staff area.

A light flickered, and Demona briefly appeared next to Cal. It almost seemed like she was beckoning to Temra as well...
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 pm

His interest now well and truly piqued by Cal's invitation, Temra stood and with his free hand gripped his beer. Hard work always made him parched after all, he tjought as he followed Cal.

When Demona made herself known, he offered the flickering image a short bow and a smile. For reasons he couldn't articulate, Temra had always found the hologram amusing. She gave the place a character unmatched by any of the other establishments in town.
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Demona's ethereal laughter echoed all around the pair. "Don't worry. You'll be safe with me..." Cal just chuckled and shook his head.

He lead the way down the familiar hallway, and through the door marked "Staff" at the end of the hall. On the other side was a fully stocked supply room, including a well-lit workbench.

Cal gave it a vague wave. "You can set up there. I'd be much obliged if you tuned it. But I also wanted to show you this..."

Moving to the back wall, he gave an especially old looking metal crate a kick. "Got a secret room down there." He said. "If someone was in some trouble, they could hide out for quite some time." He smiled. "This occupation hasn't been quite as bad as I feared. But if things get worse..."
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm

The presence of a secret room wasn't a huge surprise, bars and speakeasies had a history of little hidey holes like this. That Cal trusted Temra enough to show him was another matter.

"This. This changes the payment I would ask of you for this work then. Whatever creds you think my work is worth, hold onto it. There may come a time, probably soon, when someone may seek you out. Should anyone ask for the blue moon special, hide them until you can get them off world, use that money to buy them a new start."
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Once more, Cal's lips briefly parted, then shut. Smiling, he nodded. "Sure thing. I'll make sure word gets passed around. Whoever it is'll be safe, I can promise you that."

He strolled back over, smiling gently. "Friend of yours, or something? Or is this one of those 'no questions asked' sorts of situations?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Temra pulls his lightsaber hilt out and places it on the bench, attaching a note to it that simply says - Mirri.

"A friend for sure, and the gift I leave them will either answer all your questions or create more. I welcome either scenario equally."
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Cal's eyes lit with curiosity, but he just nodded. "Alright then. Sure thing. I'll make sure she gets it." He gave Temra a friendly clap on the back. "And don't worry. She'll be safe."

He walked to the door. "I'll be right back. Gonna see if your steak is done." He pulled the door open, pulling it shut behind him as he stepped through.

Almost as soon as the door shut, Demona appeared, just behind Temra. "She'll be safe..." The ghostly voice almost sounded kindly.

Then the pretty face distorted. "I'll be watching..." Demona vanished, laughing. Well, that was more like it, anyway.
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:01 pm

"Thank you," he whispered to the empty room, knowing that Demona would hear. Then he focused on the work ahead of him...

D8 EE modding Cal's gun inventorx2, mental tools, assist: 2eA+2eP+4eB+3eD 3 successes
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Temra Zol

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Cal was back quickly enough with a plate, a generous amount of food heaped atop it. There was some sort of greens, and an herbal spread with some blue butter, too. He set it down next to Temra. "Maybe I shoulda made sure to get somethin' that's a bit more finger food." He said, chuckling. "But the nerf steak's the best, anyway." He waved a hand. "So take your time with it."

While Temra worked, he did his best to help out. "So... that little package you're leaving. Is that what I think it is?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Temra Zol » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:44 pm

"It is the start of what you think it is," Temra replied as he removed the outer casing of the weapon, handing a piece to Cal to hold on to.

"There's a component missing, the spiritual heart of the weapon. I crafted the shell a few days ago, thinking it was meant for me. Now I think otherwise, I think the act was meant to galvanize my spirit to return to the fight, but the piece itself is destined for another."
Temra Zol

Next

Return to Twelve Parsecs from Nowhere