[D8LA] Long Arm of the Law

Local watering hole.

Re: [D8LA] Long Arm of the Law

Postby Cal Arcton » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm

"Yeah." Cal said with a sigh. "Good point." He was silent for a few moments.

He looked at Quinn. "So... Commander Leo, Doc, and I are are all working on the Empire problem. What do we do about this Seneschal?" His expression was expectant.
Human | Bar Owner | Twelve Parsecs Crew | Un-retired Lawman | I have two guns
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:53 pm

"Honestly, I don't know. Everything I've learned about him suggests he's immensely powerful. Wait, who are commander leo and doc?"
Human | Force Sensitive | Short | Harmless Kid | Gambler | Core Worlds Accent | Owner of a stick
"We're not the totally dashing and blatantly awesome criminals you're looking for. They went the other way."
Profile | Full avatar | Themesong
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:12 pm

"Oh." Cal grinned. "Well Doc is the doc. Yara. She and I go back a ways. Don't remember why I started calling her that, but that's how it is."

"Commander Leo's the leader of the militia." Cal was making sure to speak softly for this part. "Been working with him and the Rebel ambassador."
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

"Oh yeah...I guess the doc used to be a rebel. Anyway, I don't really know. There's a Witch who knows more about him, but she's essentially told me and Kor everything she knows and I'm not sure how much help she can be. I think it all hinges on Runi. She and Sharn woke him up. They would know where he is. Maybe even what weaknesses he has. I've tried to appeal to the Light in Runi, convince her he's bad news... but I don't think I did a very good job of it. I'm hoping she'll make the right decision though."
Human | Force Sensitive | Short | Harmless Kid | Gambler | Core Worlds Accent | Owner of a stick
"We're not the totally dashing and blatantly awesome criminals you're looking for. They went the other way."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm

"Runi..." Cal sighed. "I don't know. She and I talked a bit, but there's something..." He shook his head, not finishing the thought.

"She was worried. I think she think's he's invincible." He smiled weakly. "I'm hoping that she's wrong. I mean, a Jedi took down both the Emperor and Vader. This guy can't be any worse than them, right?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:37 pm

"Fear is a path to the dark side. It can only lead her closer to him."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Cal shrugged. "Don't know what I can say about that. She's got a lot of weird stuff in her past, though. I mean... the Inquisitor is her mother, too. Her long lost, thought to be dead mother. That's a hell of a thing."

He shook his head. "I guess what I'm saying, Runi's a complicated person. I'm not sure..." He pressed his lips together. "Is it just a matter of knowing where this fella is?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am

"I don't think so. I mean... it'd be great if we could convince him to not be evil... but someone like that... they've been completely taken by the Dark Side. I doubt redemption is possible for him."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Cal sighed. "I've had enough time convincing gun thugs to give up and go straight. Doesn't seem likely from someone who's been doin' evil twenty-thousand years ago, or whatever."

He grimaced, his hands clenching as they rested on the counter. "Look, this isn't my sort of thing. I'm just an old sheriff good at findin' people and shooting 'em. Well, a bit old, thirty-three isn't that... nevermind." He sighed. "Just... what do we do?" It was the first time he'd ever asked a sixteen-year-old that question.
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:08 pm

"I guess, we maybe try and confront him. Trust that things will go as the Force wills them. Even if we don't end up winning now, so long as we walk away knowing more about him and his motivations, we can gather others to stop him in the future."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 pm

"Well..." Cal let out a long sigh. "I guess if you need any help on that, you can count on me. At least, so long as I'm not busy with the Empire thing." He grimaced. "Maybe there really is something to the two of them going together. It's funny timing that this guy wakes up, and we get a star destroyer showing up same week. Maybe if we solve one, the other will sort itself out?" He sounded doubtful.
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:58 pm

"There are no coincidences. The Force governs everything. I'm not sure, but I'd guess the Seneschal might try and take over these imperial forces. It seems like the play to make."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:17 pm

"Yeah, I suppose that's the sort of thing I'd do if I was an ancient dark lord just woken up from my nap. Grab the nearest bunch of assholes I could find, make myself chief asshole." Cal said.

After a moment, he smiled. "It's weird, hearing you talk about this stuff. Just last week, I'd swear you were dealing Sabaac cards from your sleeve. Was that just a cover? Or do Jedi get one vice, or something?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:03 pm

"Ah... well... Uh..." She cleared her throat. "I guess I'm not the best Jedi. Running away from home, I had to figure out how to make money, you know? Bit of begging worked pretty well, but only for small amounts. So I started learning how to gamble. And everyone else was cheating, so I learned to do that too, I guess."

She cleared her throat a second time.

"My Master only noticed me after I tried to scam enough credits out of her so that I could go back to the table."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:14 pm

"Huh." Cal chuckled at that. "Well, I can't blame a kid for doin' what she needs to do to survive. And yeah, in my experience, outside of friendly games, pretty much everyone is cheating."

"So, does that mean your master was at the table too? Or just nearby?" He gave Quinn a gentle smile. "Why don't you tell me about her a bit?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm

"No... she was just... someone I tried a sob story on. She felt the Force around me, and decided to teach me. I guess she had her reasons. Anyway, she's a Mikkian. You ever seen one?"
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Cal scratched at his stubble. "Think so. I've seen a lot of different species; did my fair share of travel as a marshal."

He gave her a nod, silent encouragement to go on.
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:28 pm

"Mikkians don't really understand dishonesty. I mean, they're not naieve. They understand it's a thing and people do it. But they themselves are just brutally honest. It's a matter of honor for them. But she never told me it was wrong for me to lie and cheat. She just told me that if I was going to do it, it needed to be for the right reasons. I haven't always done that... I still don't always do it. But, I mean, she made a lot of sense."
Quinn Largo

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm

"Hrm." Cal acknowledged that, crossing his arms over his chest. "Well, I suppose that sounds about right to me. I've shot more'n my share of folks, but I don't think I've ever shot someone who didn't deserve it."

He smiled. "Sounds like she made quite an impression on you."
Cal Arcton

Postby Quinn Largo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:34 pm

She shrugged. "She was the first person that saw me for who I am, not what they want to see."
Quinn Largo

PreviousNext

Return to Twelve Parsecs from Nowhere