[D2MA] Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Local watering hole.

Re: [D2MA] Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Postby Cal Arcton » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:39 pm

"Huh." Cal didn't know quite what to say to that. It seemed like a pretty insoluble problem. "That's rough, buddy." He finally offered.

After a moment, he shrugged. "Well, you'll always have a place here. And far as I'm concerned, if someone doesn't trust you, well, that's there problem." He shrugged. "Don't know if that helps, but that's how it is."
Human | Bar Owner | Twelve Parsecs Crew | Un-retired Lawman | I have two guns
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm

"That's a nice sentiment and all, but to be honest... it's very intrinsically not just their problem. You and I have an arrangement where we find this exchange mutually beneficial. But since the other members have little that I would require to survive or thrive on, they would rightfully look at me with an air of suspicion."

He shifted in his seat, "I can be anyone. Be anywhere. See them at their most vulnerable... and they never will see me. My personas have too much utility for me to cast them aside. There's part of me that wonders very much who or what I am at times... and since there is no inner confidence in me... nothing that clearly defines me as me and my personas as something else... it is impossible to imprint a level of confidence into another that extends beyond a temporary agreement."
12 Parsecs | Clawdite | Hunter | Explorer | Poly-Faced |
Carries/Wears: Heavily Modded Blaster Rifle; Model Q4 Quickfire Pistol; Survival Pack; Backpack; Utility Belt; Holographic Costume; Infrabinoculars (Long Range); Explorer's Knife
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

"A mutually beneficial exchange?" Cal chuckled. "Well, okay. Sounds good to me. Although that's more for what I use when talking about Mr. Ribmatt."

His expression grew more serious as Soren went on. Cal sighed. "Yeah. I can see that. I've felt that from time to time, talking to one or the other of you. Each of them feels like a different person." He sighed again. "Don't know if there's much I can say about that. You sure you don't want a drink?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:47 am

"Nah, like I said... I gotta drive in a bit." He replied with a shake of his head.

"As a kid I was programmed a bit different than most folks... the process of deprogramming that version of myself has left some... I dunno what to call it... 'Inconsistencies' maybe?"
Carries/Wears: Heavily Modded Blaster Rifle; Model Q4 Quickfire Pistol; Survival Pack; Backpack; Utility Belt; Holographic Costume; Infrabinoculars (Long Range); Explorer's Knife
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:54 am

Cal sat back a little, crossing his arms. "I'm afraid you lost me, friend." He said. "Programming? Deprogramming? What does all of that mean, in practical terms? What actually happened?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:58 am

"If you had to guess what people like me's most likely job back when the Empire was running things was... what do you think it'd be?" He asked.
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:06 am

After a moment, understanding flashed in Cal's brown eyes. "An infiltrator, or a spy."

He grimaced, shaking his head. "If you don't want to tell me exactly what happened, that's fine. I'll understand. But otherwise..." He gave Soren a nod. "Well, if you don't mind tellin', I'd like to hear."
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:13 am

He paused for a second before starting, “My people soon were targeted by the Empire. We were either a great threat or a great tool... so we had to make a choice as which to be and the Empire treated us according to our actions. My parents opted for the safer route and I was put in a training program for the first decade or so of my life.”
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 am

As Soren began, Cal sat forward. His expression grew more interested as the shapeshifter spoke. "I see." He said, nodding. "Makes sense." He set his glass down, waiting for Soren to continue.
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 am

"Eventually I got busted out by a woman who used to be an operative for the Republic in the Clone Wars." He continued.

"But then we got tracked down. Got separated. And I spent the next... now what... 15 years or so of my life been trying to make it on my own... bouncing around here and there."
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Cal nodded slowly, his eyes narrowing. It was some time before he responded.

"You ever go looking for her?" He asked.
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm

He shook his head, "Nope. If she wasn't captured, she'd have come and met me at our rendezvous point... and after that... if she was free... there was no way that I'd be able to find her if the Empire couldn't. I had to find a way to get food."
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm

"Well, yeah, obviously there were immediate needs." Cal drawled. "But, in the years since then. Ever think about seeing if there's a trace of her somewhere?"

He frowned. "And how old does this make you. And what does age mean to you, anyway?" Since Soren could adopt a form of just about any age, although weight was a factor.
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 pm

"Age? Same as it does to most people I guess... My body gets old and dies too... Even if you don't see it happening." He replied.

He then began doing a bit of math in his head, "Hmm... I'm probably about 30-ish right now..."
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Cal chuckled. "Well, that doesn't surprise me much. I keep Kor around just so I'm not the oldest one on the crew." His expression grew more serious. "And he's a good sort, too. Looks after Quinn." He chuckled again. "Someone's got to."

He looked at Soren curiously again. "Do you feel it? Getting older? I mean, when you change into the body of... which is the young one you do sometimes? When you're her, do you still feel your age?"
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 pm

"Depends I guess... internally a lot of it all stays the same from what I gather. It's mostly just cosmetic stuff on the outside that switches up. So if I had like... a broken leg, it'd still be broken." He replied.

"So I guess I feel like a 30-ish year old most of the time. But it's probably a bit different from a human experience."
Soren Lom

Postby Cal Arcton » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:07 pm

"Could be." Cal sighed, smiling ruefully. "I'll admit, I'm still getting used to the experience myself. Well, beats the alternative, as people keep seein' fit to remind me."

He tossed back the rest of his bourbon, setting down the glass with a thunk. "Well. Where're you off to, anyway? If you don't mind my asking, that is."
Cal Arcton

Postby Soren Lom » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:04 pm

“Just a little side job I have for myself of late. Then... I dunno... maybe some hiking?”

He looked over to Cal, “What about you?”
Soren Lom

Previous

Return to Twelve Parsecs from Nowhere