(D0 E) Painting the Town Red

Local watering hole.

Re: (D0 E) Painting the Town Red

Postby Cal Arcton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Jelna Vawn wrote:"How many you got workin' here?" Jelna asked casually. It was, of course, part of her scoping out the place. "As for sabaac, can't say I do myself, I don't like games of chance. I like myself some honest and stable work." She took a sip from her drink. "Guess bounty huntin' ain't always steady but it is honest unless you're a no-good ruffian."

Cal chuckled. "Sabaac's no substitute for work. At least, not if you play cards the way I do. It's just somethin' we do for leisure, from time to time." He paused, studying her. "Sounds like you must be mighty particular with your bounties." After a moment, he gave her an approving nod.

"Mmm..." Cal frowned, considering the question. "There's close to a dozen of us who work here. Most of those are just part-timers, though. A few stay here; I guess you'd call those the full-timers. That includes me, of course."
Human | Bar Owner | Twelve Parsecs Crew | Un-retired Lawman | I have two guns
Cal Arcton

Postby Korvalus Dunbri » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Tewzada Star'Ti wrote:"Credits, sponsors, lobbying... that kind of thing. The big news networks had people that worked with the senate, then cosied right up to the Imperial bureaucracy when the winds changed. I have to admit, it's probably the right way of doing things from the perspective of running a business, not to mention getting the inside story. But I'm not sure it's worth it if it means censorship and running sponsored propaganda. No matter who's in charge."

The corner of Kor's lip quirked at the edge "so you're saying GNN is one of the last bastions of free, honest news that isn't in anyone's pocket." Kor admitted he liked her idealism even if it seemed to border on naivete so his comment only seemed about half as sarcastic as it usually would in this situation.
Human | Big | 12 Parsecs Crew | Intimidating | Gruff | Rugged | Useless left eye
"Who I was doesn't matter."
Theme Profile
Korvalus Dunbri

Postby Jelna Vawn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 am

Cal Arcton wrote:Cal chuckled. "Sabaac's no substitute for work. At least, not if you play cards the way I do. It's just somethin' we do for leisure, from time to time." He paused, studying her. "Sounds like you must be mighty particular with your bounties." After a moment, he gave her an approving nod.

"Mmm..." Cal frowned, considering the question. "There's close to a dozen of us who work here. Most of those are just part-timers, though. A few stay here; I guess you'd call those the full-timers. That includes me, of course."

"I try to be. Can't be takin' any job without bein' cautious and sometimes they're just downright rotten." Jelna put on a smile. "I like to be able to sleep at night," she continued, and it was a preference she seldom got to have.

"Ya live here or do you have another place?" She looked at the ceiling and then back to him. "Not sure if I could handle the ruckus if this was where I called home." She flicked her glass and then smirked. "Or am I supposed to call the local waterin' hole my home away from home?"
Human | Force Sensitive | Captain of the Ivory Phoenix | "Babe"
"I reckon I can track down any varmint you want. So let's stop the chitchat and talk credits."
Profile| Theme
Jelna Vawn

Postby Tewzada Star'Ti » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Korvalus Dunbri wrote:The corner of Kor's lip quirked at the edge "so you're saying GNN is one of the last bastions of free, honest news that isn't in anyone's pocket." Kor admitted he liked her idealism even if it seemed to border on naivete so his comment only seemed about half as sarcastic as it usually would in this situation.

"I didn't mean to make it sound like that; If the owners of the company had the opportunity to sell out, they'd take it in a heartbeat. And it's not like they dress their anchors in lingerie and report on gossip because they think it's noble; They know it makes money. I just mean that at least I can have my own opinion on stories, for the moment. Being a little honest can actually work in their favor sometimes, if it stirs up any controversy."
Twi'lek | reporter for Galaxy Nuze Network | Smokin' Hot | camera droid AC1201 | holo-costume with 10 outfits
Tewzada Star'Ti

Postby Korvalus Dunbri » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Kor actually chuckled a little at that "Reporters in lingerie huh? guess thats one way to get people to watch." if they all looked as good as this one it was probably a pretty good tactic as long as you didn't care who was tuning in, she may have noticed his eyes wander over her briefly while he contemplated but he didn't leer or linger in an unsavory way.

"But I get what you're saying, you're not important enough to be in anyone's pocket which means while you might not have a loud voice you can say what you want." he mused in his usual direct way.
Last edited by Korvalus Dunbri on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human | Big | 12 Parsecs Crew | Intimidating | Gruff | Rugged | Useless left eye
Theme Profile
Korvalus Dunbri

Postby Tewzada Star'Ti » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

"Yeah; I don't know if there's an optimal balance there, like many jobs. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but I think a lot of people wish for a more fulfilling job experience, in that sense."

Tew finished the wine in her glass with a small contented sigh. "What a refreshing way to spend an evening after a long space journey."
Twi'lek | reporter for Galaxy Nuze Network | Smokin' Hot | camera droid AC1201 | holo-costume with 10 outfits
Tewzada Star'Ti

Postby Korvalus Dunbri » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Kor nodded his own drink empty as well "yeah, this was surprisingly enjoyable." He said in his usual gruff manner but it possibly seemed a bit softer than when Tew had first met him.

"You set up with a place here in the city?" Kor wasn't sure how long she was staying so he didn't know if she had a house here or just staying in a hotel.
Theme Profile
Korvalus Dunbri

Postby Tewzada Star'Ti » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 pm

She gave a short nod, marigold lekku swaying slightly behind her, "Yeah; The company put me up in an apartment in one of their subsidiary holdings on the planet here. It's not much, but it's free. And private. And it has a view of the mountains..."

Tew paused a moment before chuckling, "Okay; So maybe it's kinda nice. Doesn't have a kitchen or anything grand, but hey; I'm not much for cooking or spending a lot of time in my quarters anyways, beyond a good night's rest."
Tewzada Star'Ti

Postby Korvalus Dunbri » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am

"Hm" Kor said after a bit of consideration "sounds like a pretty nice place for these parts. mountains can look really good in the morning. Good sunrise and such. As for food, we may be a good bar but we actually have a pretty great chef back there." The big man said jerking his thumb toward a door that logically likely led to a kitchen of some sort.
Theme Profile
Korvalus Dunbri

Postby Tewzada Star'Ti » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:56 pm

That brought out a small chuckle, the orangish Twi'lek woman leaning against the bar in front of here, "Come here for food too, and not just drinks? Well, that's certainly a good word in towards coming back, if nothing else. I don't suppose there's anything else to add like live music or games of chance to add to the pot, hm?"

Not that she minded just coming some place for food; She was the sort who ate out a LOT. But a place with both food and entertainment was the sort of place she looked for when she wanted to get her mind off things.
Tewzada Star'Ti

Previous

Return to Twelve Parsecs from Nowhere